In this article you will see how to change your desktop Skype icon with a new one that it much more fun. Keep in mind that this has nothing to do with emoticons. It is about the shortcut icon that you click in order to open the program.
But where can we get new cool icons? Don’t worry, I have prepared an archive with many Skype icons (I got all of them from the awesome website findicons.com). I have separated them into two folders – one for Windows XP and one for Windows 7. With default settings in XP the best icon size is 32×32 pixels. In Windows 7 the best size is 48×48 pixels. This is why there are two separate folders.
Follow the steps:
- Download the Skype-Icons.zip archive and extract it.
- Move the folder Skype Icons 32x32px (Windows XP) or the folder Skype Icons 48x48px (Windows 7) (depending on which Windows you’re using) to a safe place where it will not be deleted or moved.
- Open My Computer or Windows Explorer and navigate to the following location: C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone. If Skype is installed in another folder then go there.
- Right click on Skype.exe, choose Send to … and then Desktop. (Keep in mind that if you are using Skype Launcher then you will need to use its icon)
- A new shortcut icon appears on the desktop. You can rename it by right clicking on it and then choosing Rename. Now you need to delete your old one because it does not allow its picture to be changed.
- Now do the following: right click on the new icon -> Properties -> Change Icon… -> Browse …
- Find the folder that we moved in step 2 and open it. Choose one of the files and click Open.
- Click OK and then OK again.