Sometimes people ask me how can they use a picture different from a square, without it being cropped. This is why I decided to make this post and share the solution.
Sign in with an old version of Skype and change your avatar from there.
Here I will explain the method using the portable version. This way we don’t need to deal with installations and uninstallations.
- Download the portable Skype 3.8.
- Quit your normal Skype.
- Open the portable version and sign-in.
- In the menu at the top go to: File -> Personalise -> Change your picture.
- At the top click Browse, find the picture, click Open and then Apply.
- Quit the portable version (and you can delete it as well if you want).
- Done. Continue using your normal Skype. It could take some time before the new picture starts showing to other people.