Skype 6.1 was released on January 10th. In this version Microsoft continues to integrate Skype into more and more products of the company. This time it is the Outlook users who will benefit the most.
The first change is the Outlook integration. While we are in Outlook we can see the online status and mood of our Skype friends. Also we can start a call or a chat through Outlook (in this case the Skype window opens to finish the job).
Adding contacts is easy
Searching for new contacts and adding them to our contacts list is easier than ever. In the 6.1 version this is not even on a separate window – it is on a tab inside the main interface. There is one unified field, where we can search by first name, last name, Skype name or email.
New navigation buttons
Instead of the big Call Phones button now there are four smaller buttons that take us to the following tabs: Skype Home, Call Phones, Start a chat and Add new contacts. [Picture]
Redesign of the profile tab
And the last change is the redesign of the Profile tab. The way I see it, now they just don’t show the whole information until we click the Show full profile link and instead they use the space to promote the paid services. [Picture]
What is new in Skype 6.1?
- The Skype online status, mood and other profile information of your friends is displayed in Outlook
- Ability to start a Skype call or chat while in Outlook (the Skype window opens)
- Faster and easier way to search for and add new contacts [Picture]
- New navigation buttons [Picture]
- New design of the profile tab [Picture]
- Added on April 16, 2013: The button, that was used to close a chat window, is removed. (Thanks to Дани 1 for mentioning this in the comments of the Bulgarian version of the site).
Screenshots of Skype 6.1